Friday, September 14, 2012

Washing up or Jesus


Washing up or Jesus

I don't know what kind of morning routine you have.  Maybe it includes a shower or shave and a calm, quiet cup of tea or coffee.  You may enjoy reading.  Call me crazy, I quite like to do useful things like washing up when I get up.  Weird, I know.  I like to start my day by simply praying up the things on my mind, Cat, her relay workers, my friends and family.  I don't always manage that as those of you who know me know very well that I easily get distracted.  And that's ok.  I'm very thankful that I don't have to pray and start my day reading my bible to be a Christian.

But that's all as an aside.  This morning I was about to sit down and chat to God when I noticed the washing up on the side.  Now, I can be a bit 'OCD' at times about tidiness, which my lovely wife is very patient with.  But I wanted to share the internal 'conversation' that happened as I looked at the washing up.  Because I think it happens to us all in some way or another.

The OCD part of my said that the washing up NEEDED to be done.  That it would be a BLESSING to Cat to have it out of the way.  But another part of my said that washing up can be done at any time, and that praying and spending time with God would be better.

This reminded me of a story in the bible of Mary, Martha and Jesus.  Jesus comes to visit their house and Martha busies herself cleaning the house, while Mary just sits with Jesus.  Here's the story...

   Now as they went on their way, he entered a certain village, where a woman named Martha welcomed him into her home. She had a sister named Mary, who sat at the Lord's feet and listened to what he was saying. But Martha was distracted by her many tasks; so she came to him and asked, "Lord, do you not care that my sister has left me to do all the work by myself? Tell her then to help me." But the Lord answered her, "Martha, Martha, you are worried and distracted by many things; there is need of only one thing. Mary has chosen the better part, which will not be taken away from her"

I realised while considering the washing up that I can be so busily 'getting my house ready'.  Part of me likes to be busy, to be doing things.  I find it hard that Jesus says to 'be still that know that I am God'.  Not 'go do stuff', but just to 'know'.  Jesus enables us to take time out and enjoy just being with Him.

In reflection on the washing up thing, spending time reading my bible and talking to God resets my crazy OCD tendencies, helps me get perspective and gives me a fresh appreciation for the sheer hoard of good things God has given me in my life - chiefly in Jesus.

Jesus invites me to sit at his feet, not as a slave sitting by his master.  But as a child sitting by his father. Because of Jesus, I am God's son.  And as a child, I love my dad.  At times I might argue with him, but I love my dad. And sitting with him and just talking to him is just what I need.  As frequently as I can!

TheWeeScottie

No comments: