Sunday, October 28, 2007

I'll praise you as I ought

'Weak is the effort of my heart,
and cold my warmest thought;
but when I see you as you are,
I'll praise you as I ought.'

-John Newton, 'How sweet the name of Jesus sounds'-

I sang these words in church today and they struck me afresh. Here we are, trying to give praise to God that rightly glorifies his name, and we then realise that no collection of words could ever fully describe his glory, his majesty, his love, compassion and beauty. The Almighty God is just too far beyond our imagining to put into mere words! When you remember this, the spirit's work in praise becomes clear, 'interceding for us with groans that words can't express' (Romans 8v26).

That verse by John Newton doesn't just acknowledge our meagre, yet heart-felt praise falls short of fully glorifying God, but gives a wonderful reminder that there will be a time when we will be able to praise him as he created us to, and that time is coming! Hallelujah! Come to think of it, how can we describe anyone fully if we've never seen them face to face, let alone expect to praise God in such a way that fully describes his gloriousness and beauty?

Praise God that that time is coming, when we will stand before him and praise him as we ought! Praise his name, that he accepts our heart-felt praises just as they are, and is pleased by them. Praise our glorious heavenly father, that he gave up Jesus for us; whatever our circumstances, that alone is worthy of our heart-felt praise for our whole lives!

TheWeeScottie

---------------------------------------------------------------

weird is just your own personal brand of normal

No comments: