Thursday, May 01, 2008

In due time (aka have patience, trust & get on with it!)

Some of you will know that I have just begun my final teaching practice in year at a school in Bracknell, and that we have all started the exciting process of applying for our first teaching post.

This morning I was meditating on Romans 5v6, which says:

'For when we were yet without strength, in due time Christ died for the ungodly.'

The key phrase that jumped out at me was 'in due time'. Think about this phrase in the context of the verse; God sent Jesus to die for the ungodly (don't forget, that's you and me) in due time, i.e. when the time was right - when God decided it was right. Thinking back to the job-hunting now, that simple phrase 'in due time' strikes home to me, and reminds me how impatient I can be in wanting a job, in having that security of a job to go on to after I complete my training.

In light of patience, we're firmly reminded in Proverbs 3 to:

'trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will will make your paths straight.' --Proverbs 3v5-6 --

It's this making straight of our paths that I find so enticing - you want to have the path made straight before you because then you can see what 's going to happen! In all truth though, no matter what the shape or the curve of our paths, they are always made clear in God's time. What we must learn is patience to trust God with our lives, and in order to trust him we must know him - we must decide and dedicate ourselves to immersing ourself in his word. This doesn't mean flicking through a verse every now and then, it means full immersion in the wonderful, inspired and living Word of God.

The more we know of God, the more we will trust him. There's a job out there with my name on it, I know that much! I just need to look for it, applying in faith that God will show me the job he wants me in next year. In due time, he will show me. As he will do for you. Do you trust him to?

TheWeeScottie

---------------------------------------------------------------

weird is just your own personal brand of normal

1 comment:

doonhamer geordie said...

Thanks for these words of encouragement Tim...

We've been struggling a bit with the length of time the whole adoption thing is taking, and the endless delays which seem to keep coming our way - and we get exasperated and frustrated with God...

Thanks for re-focussing our thoughts - and helping us remember that He will make our paths straight - and in His time, not ours!

And all the best with the job-hunting!