Monday, September 04, 2006

The way for me to go

Just playing a song in a worship book, the name I forget, but the theme of Jesus dying for us before we even knew him, stuck in my head. This poem/song's the overflow that came from writing it down.

The Way for me to go

'You did not wait for me to come
to stand at calvary's tree
nor hear the words you sought to hear
that I would follow thee
but took the shame upon yourself
that rightly clung to me
that I might one day see the way
you paved for me to go

You did not wait for them to come
to hear you words of life
nor hide yourself from hungry souls
that wallowed in their strife
but gave yourself each day afresh
to open wide their eyes
that that day they might see the way
you paved for them to go

You did not wait for me to come
into this world of sin
nor grow enough to understand
the state my soul was in
but gave your life for me before
sin's clutches I was in
that I might one day see the way
you paved for me to go

You did not wait for them to see
their scorning of your way
nor hold back grace from sinners' hearts
that bid you die that day
and with that cry you bade him grant
'forgive them what they say'
that they might one day walk the way
you paved for them to go

May I not ignore what I now see
the cost that you once paid
nor hold back the freedom, bought for me
when Jesus' body lay
upon that cross, 'It's done', the cry
no longer there he stayed
for three days on he rose again
and showed the way to go

No longer may I wait to run
into my saviour's arms
and put to death the sin and shame
that come with satan's charms
Held not by death, nor sin or guilt
I see your nail-scarred palms
and see afresh the way ahead,
show me to the way to go.'

No comments: