Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Walking on water?

It's been one of those days, you know? I have to say that up until about 5 mins ago, I was looking back on the day and thinking I'd got hardly anything done and that as such I also wasn't being my normal (sometimes abnormally) bouncy cheerful self . Then I found a song by Michael W. Smith called 'Raging sea' had begun playing on my iPod. The lyrics run as follows...

'Sometimes the journey makes you weary
Feels like a long and winding road
Sometimes this life can lose it's meaning
But you might be surprised to find some hope

Maybe you're wondering where love is
You may feel it's far away from here
Maybe you're wondering where I am
You might be surprised to find I'm near

Chorus:
And when your life is tossed and turning
And your on the raging sea
I'll come and pull you from the water
Then you will know that you are free

So if you're stumbling through the valley
Or if you're tempted to give up the fight
Reach out your hand and I will lead you
I will be your strong arm in the night'

The first verse really struck me, that quite frankly I'm well weary with work at the moment (6 weeks on 1 piece of coursework!), but then I heard the chorus 'I'll come and pull you from the water, then you will know that you are free'. If there's been one thing God's really reminding me of recently it's been that I need to keep my focus on him - because he's the source of my strength and energy. As many of you know, it's end of Spring term and for us finalists, this means busy busy busy with work. Looking back on today, my focus on God's waivered hugely.

Writing this just now has reminded me of Peter in the storm, when he began to sink because he basically took his focus off Jesus and got overwhelmed by the storm around him - even though Jesus called him to come to him.

Praise God that he knows what he's up to when it comes to our work, our feelings, our lives. I know God's got me here in Reading studying my final year because he wants me here and now; and my work's part of that. Which means he'll help me to do it - focus, determination, the whole caboodle. Thinking about it now, it seems daft that I took my gaze off him!

Even though we may have to come through storms of all shapes and sizes, Jesus calls us to walk to him and walk with him. And you know what? Even though the storm's still raging, it doesn't matter, because we'll be walking above it. Hallelujah!!

TheWeeScottie

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

if computers are idiot-proof, why can't I make them work...

No comments: