Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Forever Yours

I found this on the back of a piece of paper while unpacking today. I can't remember when I wrote it, or what inspired me to write it, yet I have a vivid memory of writing it. Re-reading it, I've been struck how when you come before God, sometimes you feel such inability to praise him because he just can't be fully praised in words - he is just too majestic, powerful, awesome and loving. This poem is something of a reflection of that, remembering that even though we find it hard to, he graciousely accepts our praise and reminds us we are his.

Forever Yours

'Lord I sit before your throne,
yet know not what to say
what words can sing such praises true
that wholly glorify your name?

So underserved but yet such love
my praise to you I'd bring
yet my mouth can but in part express
the praise my heart would sing

The glories of your name, in word
can never full be said
yet by your spirit I find myself
by your own spirit led

So Lord, with heart upon your name,
I thank you now for who your are,
your love unparralleled, love so pure,
that wipes the sin that marrs

I praise you Lord for you are good!
Your word has never let me down.
Your faithfulness is matched by none,
your name holds the highest renown

Your plan is good, your promises true,
my side, I know you'll never leave
To think that I might love an other
my heart can not believe

My future's safe in you, my Lord,
my place in rule with you;
for one day I shall stand beside
and rule as you now do

Such inheritance I know is mine,
but how hard to believe.
Why you loved me o'er e'en your son,
this mind just can't conceive

Thus I find myself, once more,
overwhelmed by grace.
This love, tho I can't compr'end
had paid this sinner's place

So I savour new, your presence, sweet,
aware of none but you
for only through your father's love
can I do the things you do

I seek your way in this, my life
may my life be charted by your course
for I shall rest in this, as sure
I know that I'm forever yours.'

No comments: